University of Washington experts provide the Autism Center of Excellence (COE) trainings through a contract with the Health Care Authority (HCA). The next scheduled training is Friday, September 29, 2023.
University of Washington experts provide the Autism Center of Excellence (COE) trainings through a contract with the Health Care Authority (HCA).
We anticipate the training after that to be January 2024. If you would like to be put on the list of people interested in learning when the next training date is decided, please email Kate Orville, Training Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Purpose of the COE Training
- To increase the number of qualified clinicians (COEs) across Washington State who can appropriately diagnose children and youth with autism who have Medicaid insurance.
- Help children and families access needed services as appropriate, including writing a Medicaid/Apple Health prescription for Applied Behavioral Analysis (ABA). COE required for Managed Care Organization (MCO) prescription approval.
Who is Eligible to Become a COE
- The HCA determines which primary care and other clinicians can become COEs. Currently the list includes medical physicians working in primary care, specialty physicians, clinical psychologists, ARNPs and pediatric naturopaths. Physician Assistants (PA-C) whose supervising clinician is a COE are eligible as of Jan 1, 2023.
- As of Oct 17, 2019 , an autism diagnosis from a COE provider (except for naturopath physicians and PA-Cs) can also be used by a family for Developmental Disabilities Administration (DDA) eligibility.
What the Training Covers
- Evaluation and diagnosis of children exhibiting signs and symptoms of autism spectrum disorder and determining which evidence –based treatments, including ABA, are likely to be helpful for individual children
- Community and state resources for children and youth with autism and their families
- The lived experience of autism from autistics and family members- what they would like you as a health care professional to know
- How to write an approved prescription for ABA treatment
- Paperwork and process to complete to become a HCA recognized COE after the training
COE Training Logistics
(Friday) 8:30 am - 4:30 pm