Air Date: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm PDT Topics: Leadership & Management Vulnerable Populations & Health Disparities Format: Webinar Duration: One hour Cost: Free Series: Hot Topics in Practice Competency Domains: Community
- Air Date: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm PDT
- Topics: Leadership & Management Vulnerable Populations & Health Disparities
- Format: Webinar
- Duration: One hour
- Cost: Free
- Series: Hot Topics in Practice
- Competency Domains: Community Dimensions of Practice Skills Leadership and Systems Thinking Skills
This one-hour webinar, which is part of the Hot Topics series, explores equity-focused leadership skills for the COVID-19 crisis.
- Describe public health leadership challenges in the context of COVID-19 and racism crises.
- Identify the range of health challenges presented by different inequities in rural America, as identified in Alaska.
- Identify equity-focused leadership and communication strategies for addressing challenges related to today’s health crises.
- Describe how tribal sovereignty, federal responsibilities, and state regulatory authorities interact related to public health in Alaska.
Local, state, and tribal public health professionals; leaders and administrators.
Anne Zink, MD, Chief Health Officer, Alaska Department of Health and Social Services
Robert Onders, MD, Medical Director, Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortium
- What are the biggest leadership challenges facing your agency right now?
- What work has your organization done to better understand the root causes of health and equity?
- How has your agency prioritized the equitable distribution of limited resources to support small, underfunded, and/or historically marginalized communities?
- What communication strategies do you use to talk about health equity and anti-racism with community partners, elected officials, leaders, and other decision makers?
Slides and Resources
Slides | Slide handout (3 slides per page) (available immediately before the session)
- Yancy CW. COVID-19 and African Americans. JAMA. 2020;323(19):1891–1892.
- American Indian tribes thwarted in efforts to get coronavirus data
(Wednesday) 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm PST