In-person or Online Online
In-person or Online
University of Washington experts provide the Autism Center of Excellence (COE) trainings through a contract with the Washington State Health Care Authority (HCA). The next scheduled training is Friday, February 2,
University of Washington experts provide the Autism Center of Excellence (COE) trainings through a contract with the Washington State Health Care Authority (HCA).
We anticipate the training after that to be Fall 2024. If you would like to be put on the list of people interested in learning when the next training date is decided, please email Kate Orville, Training Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Purpose of the COE Training
- To increase the number of qualified clinicians (COEs) who can appropriately diagnose children and youth with autism who have Medicaid insurance in Washington State.
- Help children and families access needed services as appropriate, including writing a Medicaid/Apple Health prescription for Applied Behavioral Analysis (ABA). COE required for Managed Care Organization (MCO) prescription approval.
Who is Eligible to Become a COE for Washington State
- The HCA determines which primary care and other clinicians can become COEs. Currently the list includes medical physicians working in primary care, specialty physicians, clinical psychologists, ARNPs and pediatric naturopaths. Physician Assistants (PA-C) whose supervising clinician is a COE are eligible as of Jan 1, 2023. You must serve or plan to begin serving children and youth under 21 with Medicaid to become a COE.
- As of Oct 17, 2019 , an autism diagnosis from a COE provider (except for naturopath physicians and PA-Cs) can also be used by a family for Developmental Disabilities Administration (DDA) eligibility.
What the Training Covers
- Evaluation and diagnosis of children exhibiting signs and symptoms of autism spectrum disorder and determining which evidence –based treatments, including ABA, are likely to be helpful for individual children
- Community and Washington state resources for children and youth with autism and their families
- The lived experience of autism from autistics and family members- what they would like you as a health care professional to know
- How to write an approved prescription for ABA treatment
- Paperwork and process to complete to become a HCA recognized COE after the training
COE Training Logistics
(Friday) 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
08feb10:00 am3:00 pmChild Well-Being and the New Science of Trauma: Regulating the Nervous System to Promote Healing- NWCF Forum Event Organized By: Northwest Children's Foundation Event Type:ConferenceIn-person or Online:Online
“What we focused on for so long in trauma-informed work is the brain, not realizing that the first responder is the body.” – Dr. Linda Chamberlain Our upcoming virtual Forum, Child
“What we focused on for so long in trauma-informed work is the brain, not realizing that the first responder is the body.” – Dr. Linda Chamberlain
Our upcoming virtual Forum, Child Well-Being and the New Science of Trauma: Regulating the Nervous System to Promote Healing features Dr. Linda Chamberlain. An expert for over two decades in the field of brain development, she will share the latest research on trauma and healing and science-supported tools to reset the nervous system. Dr. Benjamin Danielson returns to the Forum to give opening remarks and lead a panel conversation. They will be joined by panelists who discuss the different ways they use mind-body practices in their work with children, youth, and families. Register here today.
Dr. Linda Chamberlain
Scientist, Author, and Founder of the Alaska Family Violence Prevention Project
Dr. Benjamin Danielson
Clinical Professor of Pediatrics, University of Washington and Center Director, AHSHAY
With panel discussion and presentations by:
- Dr. Skye Camphouse, Senior Director of Inpatient Services at Ryther
- Abigail Bocanegra, MA, LMFT, Founder and Director, Creative Heart Therapies
- Roshaé M. Lowe, Professional Development Facilitator with BELONG Partners
- Dr. Martina Whelshula,Educator, Consultant, and Partner, Swan Innovations
Learn more and register here
(Thursday) 10:00 am - 3:00 pm