Print Friendly, PDF & Email

On This Page


This page provides information and tools to help families partner with their children’s health care providers and schools or child care centers in order to support optimal health, developmental and educational outcomes for children with special health care needs.

Schools and early education/ childcare centers play a particularly large role in the lives of children.  Children and youth with special health care needs and their families benefit when their medical home doctor and teachers and other school personnel work together to identify and meet the needs of the students and families.

    • Families need to know how to work collaboratively with teachers and school administrators, as well as understand the laws and procedures that ensure their children receive the appropriate accommodations in order to learn.
    • Educators can adapt their teaching methods or bring in additional services through the Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or IFSP process if they understand the health and developmental needs of an individual child and the educational implications.
    • Physicians and other health care providers can share important information with families and schools about how the particular diagnosis or medical needs of a child is likely to impact their learning and behavior.  They also serve an important role in identifying health and developmental problems, linking families to services, counseling families, and advocating for the child.

Getting Started


  • from the American Academy of PediatricsIndividualized Education Program (IEP) page.  Information about your child’s IEP at school and how your doctor can help. Includes a link to hear this information read aloud.
  • The National Resource Center on AD/HD, Children and Adults with Attention-Deficit/ Hyperactivity Disorder (CHADD), and the National Alliance for Hispanic Health (the Alliance) has a 52-page Spanish/English booklet that guides parents through the process of identifying the disorder for their children, and understanding federal laws that assure specialized education and related services for eligible children with AD/HD.
  • The Center for Health and Health Care in Schools has a brief summary on Health Care for Children with Disabilities or Enrolled in Special Education Programsthat provides an overview of the different laws affecting these children.
  • Washington State Parent Training and Information Center (PTI)
    Every state has a PTI and/or Community Parent Resource Center (CPRC) that can provide information about disabilities, the educational rights of your child, or strategies for being an effective advocate for your child as well as state and local resources.   Washington State PTI Center:
  • PAVE (Partnerships for Action. Voices for Empowerment)
    PAVE provides parents and guardians with advocacy, training, and information on their children’s educational rights
    (253) 565-2266 (V/TTY); (800) 572-7368 (V/TTY)

Back to top

How Your Child’s Medical Home Doctor Can Help

Your child’s medical home doctor can work with you and your child’s school to meet the health and educational needs of your child.  The American Academy of Pediatrics has published a number of articles in the journal Pediatrics that outline for pediatricians what their role is in helping families whose children need special education or special health-related services at schools.  These roles are also relevant for family physicians, nurse practitioners, and physician assistants.

Washington State Resources

    • Listing of Educational Service Districts
    • Washington State Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI)
    • Special Education
    • Washington State Education Acronyms
    • Washington State Infant Toddler Early Intervention Program (ESIT)
      For children aged birth to 36 months.
    • Office of the Education Ombuds (OEO)
      The Washington State Governor’s OEO provides the following free services:

      • Facilitate resolution of individual complaints regarding issues or concerns that impact any student in Washington’s public school system.
      • Provide public information, consultation, and referrals regarding the Washington State public education system.
      • Train families, educators, and community-based professionals about the public education system, conflict resolution, and effective parent engagement.
      • Produce publications and tools for parents translated in a variety of languages.
      • Collect and report data annually regarding annual statewide complaint patterns and trends related to concerns and issues brought to OEO.
      • Make data informed recommendations and strategies for the improvement of policies, procedures, and requirements within the public education system that will improve the success rates of racial and ethnic minorities, students with disabilities, and students within the Opportunity Gap.
      • Collaborate with families and educational stakeholders to address systemic issues including bullying and harassment, school discipline, and the educational Opportunity Gap.
      • Outreach to underserved communities across the state to assist in accessing and navigating Washington’s public education system.
      • Fax: 206-729-3251 / Toll-free phone: 866-297-2597 Phone interpreter services available /
    • PAVE (Partnerships for Action. Voices for Empowerment)
      Provides parents with advocacy, training, and information on their children’s educational rights
    • Starting Point Resource Guide (WA)
      Search for “Schools” under Resource Category
    • Sound Options Mediation and Training Group
      Provides FREE mediation and training for Washington State parents and school districts on special education issues. Includes resources about disagreements related to identification, evaluation and educational placement of students. Focus is on mutually beneficial problem-conflict resolution as an alternative to adversarial-due process proceedings. No cost. 1-800-692-2540.
    • Washington State Family and Community Engagement Trust

Washington State School Health Policies

The National Association of the State Boards of Education (NASBE) lists school health policies for each state related to Curriculum and Instruction, School Staff, Student Services, Accommodations, Environment, Coordination/ Implementation.

Particular areas of interest to medical homes on the NASBE website include:

Screening for Health Conditions

  • Vision and Hearing:
    RCW 28A.210.020 (1971) requires all school boards to provide vision and hearing screening for their students.

Administration of Medications

    • Staff Administration:
      RCW 28A.210.260 (2013) instructs the board of directors of a school district to adopt policies addressing the designation of an employee to administer oral medications to students, written request from a parent or guardian, written request from the licensed health professional prescribing the medication, identification of the medication to be administered, safekeeping of the medication, and record keeping of the administration of medication.RCW 28A.210.270 (2013) states that the school and its employees are not liable for any criminal action or civil damages from performing the function of administering medication. The code also states that the school, district, and its employees may discontinue the administration of oral medication provided that prior oral or written notification has been given to the parent or guardian.

Additional National Resources

  • Wright’s Law Website
    Special education law and advocacy for children with disabilities for parents, advocates, educators, and attorneys.  The website has lots of practical tips about working collaboratively with your child’s teachers and school administrators and what to do when things don’t go well.  Includes information on IDEA 2004, No Child Left Behind, as well as who can help you identify your child’s educational needs and help your child achieve his or her educational goals.  You can also sign up to receive their free weekly Special Education Advocate e-newsletter.
  • Utah’s Special Education Guide for Parents